General

Why are most people right-handed?

Did you know that approximately 85% of the world's populationare right-handed and only the remaining 15% are left-handed? The preference for using one or another hand in everyday tasks is most often explained by some features in the work of the brain. So what else distinguishes right-handed people from left-handed people and what is the reason for the fact that left-handed people have always been less in nature?

There were always more right-handed people on the planet than left-handed people

How did lefties appear?

All life systems of the human body are connectedbetween themselves. This statement becomes true as never before when studying the structure of the brain. As you know, the right hemisphere is responsible for the spatial orientation of a person, while the left shows itself more creatively, mainly controlling our linguistic abilities. In addition, the nerves of the brain cross inside us so that the result is an interesting effect: the left hemisphere is responsible for the right side of the body, and the right hemisphere is responsible for the left. Such an unusual structure arose in us because the end result of thought processes often depended on the ability of our brain to multitask. In order to ensure the best survival of man in nature, evolution has taken care to endow us not with one hemisphere, but with two at once, each of which could be able to perform work different from the other.

See also: Does the brain get tired when playing sports?

Found in the parking lot of an ancient man in Kenyastone tools showed that about 600 thousand years ago, our ancestors were almost completely right-handed. The appearance of left-handed people could be associated with the development of speech in an ancient person, when the left hemisphere, which is responsible for a person’s ability to speak languages, began active development. According to this theory, the dominant use of the left hand could appear as a kind of side effect. To prove this theory is almost impossible, so scientists have a couple more interesting hypotheses.

By the way, are you a creative left-hander or a rational right-hander? Let's try to conduct a survey in our Telegram chat on this interesting topic.

Scientists believe that the probability of birtha left-handed child is greatly increased if there is a large amount of testosterone in the mother's body. So, testosterone has a strong influence on the structure of the brain of an unborn child, forming a relatively greater development of the right hemisphere. Researchers believe left-handed people are more likely to suffer from infectious diseases than right-handed people for the same reason.

Interesting fact: left-handed and right-handed among chimpanzees are always equally divided

Besides congenital left-handedness, there is alsoacquired. It is widely known that children often copy the behavior of their parents, which often affects the ability to use the right or left dominant hand.

If you like this article, I invite you to join our channel on Yandex.Zen, where you can find even more useful information from the world of popular science and technology.

In any case, despite the fact that the right-handed andleft-handed people differ from each other in terms of using one or another hand, a similar difference does not affect their mental or physical abilities. Moreover, such a small nuance could well become a kind of evolutionary plus during the survival of an ancient person, since free use of the left hand could well give the left-handed advantage in battle with a potential opponent due to the effect of surprise.