In 1976, the American company Mattellaunched an unusual toy "slime" for sale, which is still known in Russia as "slime". At its core, it is a viscous material that looks like slime from science fiction films of the 1980s. It is very flexible and does not fall apart. If you put it on a table, over time it spreads over the surface. You can buy slimes in different colors in children's stores, but you can even make this toy at home. You will not have to buy rare ingredients, because the composition of the "slime" includes liquid soap, salt, glue, shampoo and other substances that are found in almost every home. But all this must be mixed in a certain order. Sometimes the slime needs to be kept in the refrigerator beforehand.
It is important: dermatologists do not recommend giving slimes to children under 5 years old. And so, they are considered useful toys for relieving stress.
- 1 What is slime?
- 2 Danger of slimes
- 3 How to make a slime yourself?
- 3.1 Liquid soap and salt slime
- 3.2 Slime from soap and glue
- 3.3 Soap and Shampoo Slime
What is slime?
As mentioned above, the world's first slime came outon sale in the second half of the XX century. The main ingredient in the toy is guar gum, a food additive that is used as a thickener. The viscous slime was dyed green and sold in a plastic jar. The product proved to be a success, so other companies were also involved in the production of slimes. In Russia, the toy was known as "lizun". Most likely, this is due to the fact that the substance was associated in people with the green character of the film "Ghostbusters" Slymer. In the Russian dubbing he was just called "lizun".
Danger of slimes
Slime is essentially a non-Newtonian fluid.This is the name of a substance that continues to flow, despite the forces acting on it. With a quick impact, it behaves like something solid, and with a slow one - like a liquid. Slimes are not harmful to health, but it is important to ensure that they do not get on the child's mucous membranes. Also, after playing with slime, the child should not be allowed to lick his hands and rub his eyes. Still, slime contains adhesives and thickeners that can cause problems.
Liquid soap and salt slime
To create the simplest slime, you only needliquid soap and salt. It should be noted that the soap should be just liquid, because it contains important components that are not present in ordinary soap. The procedure is as follows:
- pour half a glass of liquid soap into a large container;
- to add additional color, you can add food coloring, gouache or cosmetic glitter;
- table salt should be gradually added to the resulting mixture, mixing the solution thoroughly until it looks like a slime. You may need a lot of salt.
If the mixture does not thicken, add more salt. If this does not help, you need to try using another liquid soap - perhaps the chosen one is missing some components.
Soap and glue slime
This recipe uses PVA glue instead of salt. It is important to use this particular type of adhesive because others will not work and can even be dangerous. The procedure is as follows:
- pour PVA glue into a bowl and add three tablespoons of liquid soap;
- if desired, food coloring or glitter can also be added to the composition;
- the resulting slurry must be mixed until a homogeneous mass is formed;
- the resulting mass should be put in water for 3 minutes to remove excess detergent.
As you can see, the recipe is simple. But this slime is more dangerous in composition than the previous one. Therefore, it is important to ensure that the child does not try to lick him or touch his eyes.
See also: Why are children so interested in dinosaurs?
Soap and Shampoo Slime
- To make slime according to the third recipe, you need liquid soap, shampoo and lens solution:
- liquid soap and shampoo must be mixed, and the shampoo should be twice as much;
- to the mixture you need to add five drops of lens solution or eye drops against redness of the eyes;
- a well-mixed homogeneous mixture should be put in the freezer for 10 minutes.
After the actions taken, you shouldget a "slime", which is not inferior in quality to those bought in the store. Each recipe is good in its own way and, if you have the time and the right ingredients, you can try each of them.
If you are interested in the news of science and technology, subscribe to our Telegram channel. There you will find announcements of the latest news from our site!
On our site there are several more articles aboutmaking utility at home. For example, my colleague Lyubov Sokovikova told how to make a protective mask with your own hands. And Artem Sutyagin once told in detail how to buy components for the production of a home antiseptic. Enjoy reading!