Daily in dozens of hospitals around the worldfrightening, but at the same time interesting cases occur. For example, recently we talked about a 24-year-old resident of the American state of Rhode Island, whose blood, for some reason, turned blue. Today we want to talk about one 60-year-old woman who, at a wedding, ate too much wasabi, confusing a spicy Japanese seasoning with mashed avocado. This mistake, of course, had consequences - she felt so strong weakness and malaise that the next day she was in the hospital.
The benefits of wasabi
Wasabi is one of the most important seasonings.Japanese cuisine and is usually served with sushi. Seasoning has the appearance of green gruel with a very sharp taste and pronounced smell and has antibacterial properties. Wasabi is able to protect people from food poisoning, so it is almost always served with freshly caught fish. The seasoning also contains substances that weaken blood coagulation and prevent blood clots. As you can see, the beneficial properties of wasabi are very numerous, but in everything you need to know the measure.
What is Takotsubo syndrome?
The heroine of this medical history measures of courseI didn’t know. It’s not worth blaming her - everyone makes mistakes, and you can really confuse avocado puree with wasabi. Having eaten a rather large amount of seasoning, the woman felt a sudden pressure in her chest, which lasted several hours. The woman did not leave the wedding and generally felt fine, but the next day she had to be taken to the hospital.
We mentioned above that wasabi hasa rather strong effect on the body - for example, changes the coagulation of blood. Therefore, it is not surprising that a woman had heart problems due to an overdose of wasabi. Doctors diagnosed her with the so-called Takotsubo cardiomyopathy, also known as “broken heart syndrome”. Symptoms of this ailment are similar to a heart attack and include shortness of breath, high blood pressure, and chest pain. However, if a heart attack occurs due to a blood clot, the cause of Takotsubo syndrome is a weakening of the heart muscle.
This is interesting: Is it really possible to die from a broken heart?
This happened to the woman’s heart. Having eaten too much wasabi, she subjected her body to severe stress, which is why the left ventricle of her heart was temporarily weakened. The loss of a loved one can have the same effect on the heart - that is why this ailment bears the unusual name “broken heart syndrome”. In medicine, there is a case when this diagnosis was made to a woman whose beloved dog died. So breaking a person’s heart is quite possible.
This case of Takotsubo syndromecan be considered the first in history. caused by the use of wasabi. It is known that a 60-year-old woman is already feeling well, but it took her a month of treatment. From now on, she will surely carefully monitor what she eats and we must act in the same way. You probably order sushi often, so everyone has the risk of consuming too much wasabi and “breaking their heart”.</ p>