Artificial intelligence could be invented in the USAbut other countries, including China, Canada and France, have taken great steps to support the development of this technology and to benefit from it. And so Donald Trump, the president of the United States, will try to change this course by signing a decree on the start of his own game of AI by the US government. The main directions of the “American Initiative in the Field of Artificial Intelligence” were published in advance by the Office of Science and Technology Policy.
Artificial Intelligence in the USA
This initiative aims tostimulate the artificial intelligence industry in America through the redistribution of funds, the creation of new resources and the development of ways to form technology in the country, even as it is globalized.
However, although the goals are high, the details remain unclear. And the amount of funding for AI research has not yet been announced.
The plan should be achieved five key points:
- Redirection of financing. The order will order federal funding agencies to prioritize investments in artificial intelligence.
- Resource creation. The desire to make federal data, computer models and computing resources available to AI researchers.
- Standard setting. The National Institute of Standards and Technology will be tasked with creating standards that promote the development of "reliable, stable, trustworthy, secure, portable, and compatible AI systems."
- Retraining of employees. Agencies will be tasked with prioritizing the training of workers for changes caused by AI through training, advanced training programs and scholarships.
- International involvement. A strategy of international cooperation will be built, which ensures that the AI is developed in accordance with the American "values and interests."
Each step should help in American studies of artificial intelligence and make the United States more competitive - commensurate with the success in performing tasks.
Trump briefly mentioned the “industries of the future” in hisLast week’s address, and administration officials indicated that the president was preparing a series of directives aimed at improving the US competitiveness in key technology areas, including AI, 5G, and quantum computing.
For the White House, it is certainly vital to havea consistent policy on artificial intelligence, if he wants to maintain US military power, economic power and influence abroad. And the Trump administration has been criticized for adhering to the principle of non-interference in AI, unlike other governments. The main economic and strategic competitor of America - China - announced a large-scale financing plan for the development of AI in 2017.
Many in the government are obviously concernedthe fact that the US is losing its advantage. Last year, the then US Secretary of Defense Jim Mattis sent a note to the White House asking the president: to develop a national strategy on AI.
Jason Furman, a Harvard professor who wasChairman of the Council of Economic Advisers to President Obama and helped to compile an important administration report on AI for 2016, says the new plan is encouraging, but this is only the first step.
What do you think, who will be the first in the case of AI - China or the USA? Tell us in our chat in Telegram.