Just a couple of days ago, all of humanityrecalled the first ever landing on the moon as part of the Apollo 11 mission. And at the same time, space agencies around the world once again fixed their eyes on the satellite of our planet. Already many countries, including the USA, China and Russia, have announced their plans to visit the moon. Joins them and the Japanese agency JAXA, for which the notorious automaker in the face of Toyota has to develop a manned lunar rover.
When will the Japanese land on the moon?
According to JAXA's plans, they will manage to sendastronauts on the earth's satellite by 2030. At the same time, the rover for this mission should be ready a year earlier, in 2029. We will talk about the work plan for the creation of the lunar rover a little later, but for now let's focus on some of the characteristics of the future "lunar machine".
See also: Ilon Musk plans to land on the moon in 2023.
The six-wheeled rover will seat two people andwill be able to transfer them to a distance of 6,200 miles (just over 9,900 kilometers). At the same time it will work on solar energy. The dimensions of the moon rover will be 6 meters long, 4 meters wide and 3.6 meters high. The volume of useful space inside is approximately 42 square meters.
When will the moon rover from Toyota be ready?
As for the plans for the creation of a moon rover, then Toyota and JAXA have a rather busy schedule. And the first stage of the development of the rover has already started. In general, the plan is as follows:
- Fiscal Year 2019: Determining the technological elements that need to be developed for movement on the lunar surface, drawing up technical specifications for building a rover prototype.
- Fiscal 2020: production of test parts for each technological element, production of the first prototype of the rover.
- Fiscal year 2021: testing and evaluation of manufactured test parts and a prototype rover.
- 2022-2024: production and evaluation of a prototype of a lunar rover on a scale of 1: 1, collection and verification of data on drive systems necessary for studying the moon.
- 2024-2027: design, production and evaluation of the engineering model of the Lunokhod, the design of a real model in the final form.
- 2027-2029: production and testing of the finished model, testing performance and quality.
If companies succeed in meeting deadlines, thenFor the launch of the lunar mission planned for 2030, the rover should be fully prepared. At the same time, it should be delivered to the surface of the satellite of our planet a little before people. JAXA wants to use the lunar rover to help astronauts explore the lunar poles in search of frozen water and for a more detailed study of the surface of the satellite of our planet. If the mission is successful, then new modifications of the moon rover can be used, for example, when flying to Mars.
You can discuss this and other news in our chat in Telegrams.