Skin cream can cause poisoning. How to avoid this?

Almost every month we write about unusualdiseases and cases from medical practice of doctors from different parts of the world. For example, in April 2019, we talked about Indian dentists who discovered and successfully removed 526 extra teeth from the mouth of a 7-year-old boy. It is time for the next story that emergency workers in the California city of Sacramento recently encountered. Once, a 47-year-old woman came to them with complaints of numbness in her arms and legs, slurred speech and problems walking. No, the woman did not have a stroke or heart attack - the cause of serious health problems was poisoning with cream for the skin.

Skin cream may contain mercury

For many, this can be quite unexpected.fact, but skin cream really can be poisoned. A deadly means for caring for your body can come across people who buy them not in specialized stores and pharmacies, but from little-known sellers. The woman who went to a California hospital was just a wrinkle cream lover imported from Mexico.

What is a part of skin cream?

A blood test of a woman showed that in her bodycontained 2630 micrograms of methylmercury per liter of blood. It is known that this toxic chemical element can greatly affect the central nervous system of a person and lead to involuntary trembling of the extremities and even memory loss. Typically, human blood contains no more than 5 micrograms of methylmercury per liter of blood - a substance can enter our body with food. In ordinary life, a large dose of methylmercury can be obtained only by eating poisonous fish and shellfish, so the case of poisoning from skin cream in the United States was recorded for the first time.

High concentration of mercury even in pike

Methyl mercury was most likely added to the cream.due to its ability to inhibit the production of a pigment called melanin, which colors the skin dark. According to the son of a 47-year-old woman, she used the Mexican cream for many years, because he helped her get rid of black spots on her skin better than others. Apparently, the repeated use of illegally made cream led to the accumulation of mercury in the woman's body. About the state of her health at the time of writing, nothing is known.

A person can also die from expired drugs, so they need to be thrown away correctly.

Where is better to buy medicine?

This case is a great reminderthat body products and medications bought in unofficial stores can be dangerous to health and life. Many environmental groups have already noticed that such funds can be found even in large online stores like Amazon. In November 2018, they even filed a lawsuit against this store, demanding that high-mercury cream be removed from the product catalog. However, Amazon lawyers responded that the labels on most of these products contain warnings and the company is not responsible for the harm they may cause to the health of customers.

Have you ever been poisoned by substandard drugs? Tell your story in our Telegram chat!

A reminder that evenantibiotics certified and recommended by doctors can cause irreparable harm to health. Take, for example, antibiotics from the group of fluoroquinolones, to which all known oxolinic acid belongs. They are often prescribed by doctors as a remedy for a large number of infections, despite the fact that because of them a person may have heart problems. True or not, it’s impossible to say for sure, but Canadian scientists insist on it.