In the period of self-isolation, we need the Internet asair - without it we will not be able to learn important news, communicate with loved ones and work. However, right now, many started having problems with the Wi-Fi network. How to find out why it "badly catches" and fix the problem? Proper Wi-Fi network setup greatly simplifies our lives and saves our nerves. Few of us are wondering if he did everything right to ensure the reliability of data transmission and the stability of the signal level of a home Wi-Fi network, but this is important.
The Roskachestvo Digital Expertise Center lists the steps you need to take to properly configure Wi-Fi:
1. Updating the firmware of the router. Do not neglect firmware updates, as often even the most insignificant of them carry important security elements of your private network. Most modern router models support automatic firmware updates, and this functionality should be used. For those whose word firmware calls textile associations - see the instructions in the documentation for the device. Updating can be done using the support service of your Internet provider.
2. Using WPA. WPA are the security protocols used by routers for a reliable and secure connection. If you keep up with new technological trends, then your home router, as well as the connection device, should already use the latest WPA3 security protocol. This is a relatively new protocol providing enhanced data transfer security. Each user’s connection to the access point is encrypted with a unique key to prevent people in the middle attacks and intercept your traffic. If your device does not have such an option, then you must use the protocol of the previous WPA2 sample.
3. Set a strong password. It is imperative to change the factory password to your own, because the factory password is standard for all models of the company and is often written on the label at the bottom of the router. It will not be difficult for attackers to sort through 4-6 standard factory passwords of manufacturers. Password Tips (link to old article)
4. Change the network name (SSID). In the default settings, the network name reveals the brand and model of your router. This information helps attackers infiltrate your home network, so be sure to rename the SSID. Also, the best action is to hide the network, this action will remove the network from the list displayed. However, it should be remembered that you need to hide the network after you establish a connection with all home devices and when you add a new one, you will have to turn on the network display.
5.Use the instructions to figure out what additional functions your router supports (for example, FTP, CIFS and others) and, if you do not use them, turn them off, as they can reduce bandwidth.
All the tips are taken into account, but does the stability of the Wi-Fi signal leave much to be desired? Let's see what could be the matter.
Often in apartment buildingshigh density of wireless signals and, since neighbors are also actively using the Internet, it is highly likely that the radio channel through which the wireless network spreads intersects with the neighboring one. To solve this problem, you need to select a free channel: two methods — either sort through the channels manually and take the appropriate measurements, or download a special program, for example, InSSIDer or WiFiInfoView. After scanning available networks and determining the busiest radio channels, you need to change your channel to a free one. Each router model has its own interface, but the key designations are the same: for example, we will need the item “Network Settings” (Wireless Settings), then the “Channel” (Wireless Channel) parameter. At this point, you must change the channel to the one that you defined as free in the previous steps.
In addition to channels, you can try to change andfrequency range: most modern routers support several ranges - 2.4 and 5 GHz. By default, 2.4 GHz is typically used, which is why it is more loaded than 5 GHz and also has a slower speed. You can change the range in the settings of the router. However, do not forget that despite these advantages, the 5 GHz band has shorter waves, which is why the signal penetrates worse through walls and is transmitted at shorter distances than when using the 2.4 GHz band.
It is also worth remembering about the placement of yourRouter: concrete walls do not contribute to the good distribution of Wi-Fi signal, and in a private house, the question of the complete coverage of the house with a home network is generally acute. Such a device as a “repeater” will help in this - it is also a “repeater of a wireless signal." The essence of the device is as follows: it receives an incoming Wi-Fi signal, amplifies it and spreads it further. Using this method, you can cover a large apartment or the whole country house with a stable Internet connection.
Any Wi-Fi router featuresA modern smartphone that distributes Internet from your mobile network to nearby devices. This method can help out in cases of force majeure, when something unexpected happened with the home Internet, and access to the Internet is necessary. Setting up a mobile access point is simple - the corresponding item is located in the settings on the iOS platform "Modem Mode", and on Andriod - in the "Connections" section and then the item "Mobile Access Point". However, these methods are more temporary in nature than permanent, and here's why:
1. Do not forget about the consumption of mobile traffic: in some tariffs it can have a very high cost.
2. Mobile network load or weak signal. Mobile Internet, like a telephone signal, is distributed through mobile towers, which can be either far from home or heavily loaded, which results in an underestimation of the speed of mobile Internet.
Although the smartphone and can not serve as a goodan alternative to a home router, in emergency situations it can help the user out and help access the Internet. Remember that this alternative cannot become permanent, because even with an unlimited tariff, the technology works in such a way that when a certain amount of traffic is used up, the operator can limit the speed so that other users can also use the network.
We wish everyone to set up their Wi-Fi network in such a way as to completely forget about the problems with the connection and enjoy the work, study and entertainment.