The microwave was one of the main householdkitchen appliances for decades, allowing you to cook food without much effort in minutes. However, how close can you be next to the device without harm to health? Does microwave radiation from the furnace have any effect on us? Let's try to figure this article out together.
How does a microwave work?
Microwaves are electromagnetic radiation andare special waves of energy moving in space. Electromagnetic radiation appears in several forms, which include radio waves, visible light, as well as x-rays and gamma rays.
According to an article published on the portallivescience.com, microwaves, as well as radio waves, are “non-ionizing radiation,” which means that waves of this type do not have enough energy to displace electrons from atoms. In other words, microwaves are not able to damage the DNA inside the cells. However, despite the fact that microwaves do not pose the same health risks as, for example, x-rays, this does not mean that they are completely safe. Microwaves heat food, causing water molecules to vibrate, thus creating heat and energy. Theoretically, microwaves seeping through the walls of a furnace can heat body tissues just like they heat food, and their high concentration can cause burns and cataracts. However, such types of injuries are considered quite rare and occur only when people are exposed to excessive exposure to microwaves leaking through the gaps that result from improper use of the microwave oven.
By the way, you can discuss this article and express your opinion about the dangers or benefits of a microwave oven in our Telegram chat.
Safe use of the microwave
In order to use safelymicrowave oven, before use it must be carefully checked: if the door of the device does not close or is deformed, then it is highly recommended not to use the oven. In any case, for an additional safety measure, it is better not to stand in front of the furnace during its operation or lean against it.
Regarding injuries sustained duringoperating a microwave oven, the most common way of getting physical damage is by carelessly touching hot containers and overheated products. Particular attention should be paid to heating the water, since most often, the microwave oven brings the water to the stage of overheating, which is why any touch of the container or its slightest movement can provoke the release of boiling water, which, in turn, can get on the person’s hand and cause burns.
See also: New spacecraft will use microwaves to enter orbit
Thus, the use of a microwave oven in everyday life, taking into account all safety requirements, will help to completely protect a person from exposure to electromagnetic radiation.