New ones were added to the old schemes of deception, andscammers have gone around the second circle: calling the victims of telephone divorces, pretending to be lawyers and promising to return the money, asking to pay for the services of a law firm.
A new "old" scheme is gaining momentumfraud with calls allegedly from the police and banks. According to the Moshelovka platform, in May the number of hits to the portal almost doubled (by 86%) compared to April. Experts from the Center for Digital Expertise of Roskachestvo tell how not to become a victim of intruders.
"Hello, this is from the prosecutor's office"
With this or a similar phrase, they begin to playfraudulent performance by criminals calling the next number from the "merged" database. Further, the interlocutor at the other end of the wire is quickly and indistinctly given a portion of information, and noises, voices and conversations are specially made in the background, simulating the effect of an active workflow in the department. This is done so that the victim could not turn on critical thinking and navigate the situation.
Often the victims of the villains are very young people or pensioners. A fresh precedent - in July, an elderly Volgograd citizen lost almost a million rubles by trusting telephone scammers.
Calls from "employees" of banks
The most common scenario is supposedly a call fromCentral Bank or one of the well-known banks. In May, most calls were made on behalf of VTB "employees". One of the wordings is “Intruders tried to gain access to your personal account. It is urgent to transfer all funds to a safe account!”
Signs that you are being scammed:
1. A stranger becomes the initiator of a call, message, sms.
2. The subject of the appeal is a legend about your finances.
3. They ask you to disclose confidential data - PIN codes, passwords, CVC, numbers from SMS messages.
4. They play on emotions, for example, they try to scare you with some news (they hacked into your personal account, someone tried to get a loan for you, etc.).
5. Use pressure, force a quick decision.
Senior Testing Specialist of Roskachestvodigital products of the Center for Digital Expertise of Roskachestvo Sergey Kuzmenko: “Do not make hasty decisions, especially in financial matters. Feel free to state that you need time to think, and hang up. Remember that you can always call the customer service of your bank yourself and find out if its employees really called. In addition, all important information is displayed in your personal account, and the necessary notifications also come there. Be vigilant in any situation."
Call from the Ministry of Internal Affairs
The swindler introduces himself as an investigator oran employee of law enforcement agencies and reports that someone tried to get a loan or withdraw money from the account in the name of a person. Various questions follow to scare the victim and turn on the “obedient citizen” mode, which, of course, will help the investigation.
As an apotheosis - transferring the call to the "employee" of the Central Bank to confirm the information. Discouraged and disoriented, the victim calls out the card data.
All information about the movement of funds according to youraccount is a bank secret. Therefore, none of the employees of the Ministry of Internal Affairs can know her, only with the permission of the court. In addition, the Ministry of Internal Affairs and the Central Bank cannot transfer calls to each other (only scammers who sit in the same room and try to fraudulently steal your money have such “opportunities”).
In any incomprehensible situation, hang up and clarify all doubts by calling the duty department of the Ministry of Internal Affairs or the bank's "hot line".
The attacker plays the role of a negligent employeethe bank where the victim has an account. Allegedly, during a financial transaction, the wrong data was accidentally indicated. The employee will almost beg to urgently cancel the actions, otherwise he will be fired. To cancel, he will request secret card data, and then ... reset the victim's account.
All corrections and cancellations of transactions are made by employees without contacting the client and in accordance with internal regulations.
Variations on a theme
1. The victim receives an SMS notification about the blocking of the account and a recommendation to transfer money to a “special account”, otherwise the funds will be frozen for a long time.
2.The phone number receives a call from a banking robot, which reports that the card has been blocked due to a suspicious transaction. This is followed by a transfer to a false bank employee and the collection of secret card data.
No special bank accounts for clientsno. If the account is blocked, then access to it will be frozen until the circumstances are clarified. Bank employees will never ask customers for passwords and pin codes, CVC number and card expiration date.
Guess with three notes: new scenarios
• Fraudsters call already established victimstelephone divorces and represented by lawyers. They promise to return the money, but for this you need to pay for the services of a law firm. The amount, compared to the money lost, may be small. The desperate victim transfers money to the specified account.
• Unexpectedly, purported to be a network operator andasks the subscriber to confirm his identity by naming passport data. Otherwise, they threaten to block the number, blocking access to accounts and bank cards. The personal information obtained in this way can be used in the future for personal gain.
It is important to remember that increasing digital literacy allows you to protect yourself from scammers who come up with new deception schemes.
Source: Press Release Roskachestvo