General, Research, Technology

Airports are spreading infections, but how can this be stopped?

In 2018, Business Insider publishedan article mentioning that after going to the toilet, only 70% of people wash their hands. According to Christos Nicolaides, an employee of the University of Massachusetts, the remaining 30% of people simply forget about this important hygiene rule. But at the moment, hand cleanliness is extremely important, because the sensational coronavirus 2019-nCoV is actively spreading through the interaction of people. In a recent study, American scientists found that if passengers on the plane washed their hands more often, the spread of infections could be slowed down by almost half. But how did they come to this conclusion?

Hand washing is very important, especially at airports

The results of their study werepublished in the scientific journal Risk Analysis. During one of the scientific works carried out by the American community in microbiology, it was found out that only every fifth visitor to the airports thoroughly washes his hands, and the rest hardly even think about their hygiene in public places. But it would be worth it, because in such places thousands of people touch doors, railings and other surfaces full of various microbes. After that, they fly thousands of kilometers to other countries and can thus spread dangerous infectious diseases.

By the way, about objects with the largest number of microbes can be found in our recent article in Yandex.Zen.

How are diseases spread?

Using computer modeling, ChristNicolaides and colleagues found that increasing the number of people with clean hands at airports can significantly reduce the rate of spread of infectious diseases. They noted that by providing people with the opportunity to wash their hands with soap and water at any time, they can reduce the likelihood of epidemics turning into pandemics. By the way, you can read about the difference between these terms in our special material.

There is a big difference between an epidemic and a pandemic

According to researchers, if the quantitypeople with clean hands at airports increased from 20 to 30 percent, infectious diseases would spread 24% slower. If the number of passengers monitoring their hygiene increased to 60%, the likelihood of the spread of dangerous diseases would decrease by as much as 69%.

The largest airport in the world is Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport

However, scientists acknowledge that equipping airportsExtra toilets can cost a lot of money. But they believe that it is even possible to slow down the spread of infections by improving the ten largest airports in the world. It is hoped that the discovery of scientists will encourage regulatory authorities to discuss the cleanliness of airports. Be that as it may, giving people the opportunity to wash their hands in a timely manner, it is possible to stop the spread of not only existing infections, but also diseases that may arise in the future.

See also: Why does coronavirus “avoid” children?

Also do not forget that hands should not be washedonly after visiting the toilet, but also at any time before eating. How many microbes can enter our body has recently been shown in a laboratory experiment. You can read about it and get acquainted with the results in our special material.